24 June 2009

Great American Adventure

Just returned from Detroit, where I accompanied my granny on a trip to visit a childhood love of hers who is terminally ill. It would have all been so romantic had I not spent the majority of a trip in a very real, very un-romantic hospital. Old people are a drag (when they're not absolutely crazy, which is how I'd prefer to turn out).

In any case, the only place worth going in Detroit (aside from Bell Isle, which is not in Detroit at all but is instead in a kind of Canada/U.S. purgatory that made my cell phone blink "International!"), is Motown, pictured above (taken from Flickr). Detroit is distinctly depressing and profoundly abandoned. I've never seen so many derelict buildings. I'll only ever visit again via Motown tunes on my iPod, I've decided.

No comments: