29 March 2010

musings on coupledom


I ran into a gaggle of cool-kids today, in the lobby of Butler Library. Absolutely resplendent in ratty soccer-style sneakers and my windblown, $5 pashmina, we found ourselves entertaining thoughts on coupling and singledom. I've always known that nonchalance is the modus operandi of New York City's becardiganed, too-cool-for-school crowd; but it seems that relationships-- for most of the early-20-somethings I've met at least-- are treated with a nonchalance that borders on irreverence. And then I thought: maybe they have a point.

My own relationship has certainly changed me for the better. In other ways though, aspects of my personality (my ability, for example, to be a jealous, ranting loony) have been given a new platform for expression. I think it's these dark and scary parts of our (relatively) newly post-pubescent selves that both single and coupled, early-20-somethings are attempting to avoid. Without getting too Hallmark card-y, the great thing about being in a relationship is not (at least not at 21) social capital or financial security. Rather, it's the knowledge that you can explore those slightly crazier recesses in yourself and have someone there who understands the process (and, hopefully, loves you anyway).

As the cool kids and I made off in our separate directions, I decided to let a little, very little, irreverence into my relationship. Maybe it's just what we need.

No comments: